Fun Activities for Your Next San Diego Picnic
Picnic People has been creating unique picnic experiences in San Diego for more than 30 years. From custom menu items to innovative lawn games, our visionary catering team loves incorporating outside-the-box ideas to complement any of our clients’ theme ideas.
In this post, we draw from the best San Diego attractions to help you incorporate fun local flair into your next outdoor event.
How to Throw A Stellar San Diego Picnic
Sports Themed Picnic Activities
Pristine weather and the nearby U.S. Olympic Training Center create the perfect environment for sports enthusiasts. Invite guests to take part in some friendly competition and work up an appetite with these picnic games:
- Miniature golf: San Diego is home to about 100 golf courses, which makes it great destination for those who enjoy a day out on course. But you don’t have to take on La Jolla’s Torrey Pines to enjoy a playful game of mini golf. Instead, set up golf flags on a grassy lawn with special prizes for those who get a hole-in-one.
- Bubble soccer: Chances are that guests have only seen bubble soccer and its players in bubble suits bouncing on lawns in YouTube videos. San Diego has some perfect venues for such shenanigans, certain to create thrilling memories!
- Lawn games: Pair up kids and adults or let the kiddos team up against a few parents in a sack race or tug-of-rope competition.
- Spa services: Design an athlete recovery station where guests can receive a massage or facial. You can also fill up tubs with chilly water and ice just like the infamous ice baths at the Olympic Training Center. Only the brave ones can dip their legs in for some muscle therapy.
Open Fire Picnics
Grilled meat, craft beers and blazing bonfires light up the typical San Diego outdoor party scene. So, local guests will feel right at home when they see our chefs grilling on-site over a real fire. Choose from our variety of scrumptious and affordable barbecue menus featuring USDA Grade A Choice Beef and set up these complimentary San Diego picnic activities:
- Beer tour: We offer a mini beer tasting accompanied by fun facts about local breweries and informational signs about each beer selection. Sampling brews with friends will not only be about drinking beer, like the local San Diego Pale Ale, but also about learning a few things in the process.
- Roasting marshmallows: Create the bonfire experience popular at beaches like La Jolla Shores by inviting guests to circle around an open flame to roast marshmallows. This San Diego picnic activity doubles as an excuse to have a sweet evening snack.
Artistic Picnic Activities
San Diego is filled with museums and street art like the Little Invaders located downtown. Let guests of all ages showcase their artistic style with these colorful activities:
- Sidewalk chalk: If your San Diego outdoor event venue has large open sidewalks, guests could decorate them with chalk in every color of the rainbow.
- Face paint: A butterfly or flower image may appeal only to kids, but the adults at a company picnic may go for a small painting of their corporate logo.
- Frisbee spin art: This artistic picnic activity also serves as a picnic guest favor. We set up machines that spin Frisbees while guests drip paint on them to create unique designs.
- Airbrush tattoos: Feature your company logo and name, but give guests the opportunity to design their own temporary tattoos as well. Meeting new people may be easier when the tattoo serves as a conversation starter.
Beach Themed Picnic Activities
Even on a weekday, you will find people enjoying the free beaches in San Diego. You can bring these beach-themed activities to your picnic:
- Sand castle contests: Let guests team up or work solo to build their sand masterpieces. Popular vote chooses the winner of our beautifully decorated seashells to take home as mementos.
- Kite flying: Let kites soar just like they do along the Tecolote Shores of Mission Bay Park.
- Tanning: Soak up the Southern California sun while lying on a custom-made beach towel. These party favors will encourage friends to hang out together under the rays while enjoying their favorite picnic drink.
Our picnic pros are ready to help you join the long list of loyal clients who are glad they chose San Diego’s only full-service picnic company. The Picnic People are happy to plan and cater your next family or company picnic. Check out our blog and contact us for more ideas that can be personalized to your unique outdoor event.